Fourth Quarter 2018
A recent felony workers’ compensation fraud conviction illustrates the diligence and expertise of CompWest’s Investigative Services Unit (ISU).
CompWest investigators discovered that a Northern California woman had been working for a private customer while receiving temporary total disability (TTD) payments. The woman was injured in February 2014 while working for a residential services company. While receiving TTD payments, she maintained separate employment and intentionally withheld that information from CompWest. The ISU team’s thorough investigation of facts surrounding the claim uncovered a solid case for the county’s District Attorney, and the claimant was convicted of felony workers’ compensation fraud in August 2018.
With billions of dollars lost each year to insurance fraud such as this, our team of former law enforcement and safety and claims professionals partner with our Claims team to investigate and expose potential fraud. The Investigative Services Unit (ISU) is committed to identifying, mitigating and eliminating fraudulent behavior. They also serve to protect CompWest and all AF Group brands against economic loss by conducting timely and quality investigations.
AF Group’s ISU has several types of investigators with specific skill sets. This integrated team of experts allows for cross-functional investigations and a unique and comprehensive perspective.
To learn more, click here to access our new brochure, which highlights the services our Investigative Services Unit provides in an effort to protect employees, employers and our customers’ bottom line.
CompWest is pleased to announce the completed implementation of new online claim management tools, which provide our customers easy access to claim documents from their computer or mobile device along with real-time claim filing. This new functionality enhances policyholders’ ability to manage claims by providing them:
- 24-hour real-time claim filing and immediate receipt of a claim number upon submitting their First Notice of Loss (FNOL).
- The ability to save an in-progress FNOL and complete it within 48 hours.
- Mobile-friendly access with a consistent look and feel between platforms.
- Online and mobile access to prescription benefit cards. (Cards will still be mailed to injured workers.)
- Ability to update and self-manage user profiles.
- Real-time claim and payment status updates.
- The ability to search claim notes and view claim financials.
- Integration with Bing maps to easily identify accident locations if an incident doesn’t occur on the company’s site.
- Less paperwork by eliminating envelopes for claim correspondence and directing users to the portal for a more efficient process.
Injured workers (non-litigated claims only) now have access to online claims management tools for the first time, where they can:
- View claim payment information in real time.
- Update and manage their user profile.
- Submit reimbursement requests for travel, pharmacy and other items, along with the ability to attach supporting documentation (receipts, etc.).
- Load documents electronically from their care provider’s office.
- Access prescription benefit cards. (Cards will still be mailed to injured workers.)
To access the portal, a one-time registration is required via our website.
- Policyholderswill need to provide their policy number, Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) and policy expiration date.
- Injured workerswill need to provide their Social Security number, claim number and date of injury.
After the initial registration, users will only need to provide the username and password created during the registration process to log in.
We’re excited to be able to provide our customers easier access to their claims information – and encourage you to share this information with them.
Our Annual Agent Meetings are just around the corner — beginning April 8, 2019. We look forward to connecting and exchanging ideas with our valued partner agents and discussing 2019 goals and the momentum we’ve established thanks to your dedication.
Here’s the schedule:
|Monday, April 8||Sacramento, Calif.||2-4 p.m. (optional reception from 4-6 p.m.)|
|Tuesday, April 9||Walnut Creek, Calif.||10 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. with lunch|
|Wednesday, April 10||Newport Beach, Calif.||10 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. with lunch|
|Thursday, April 11||Manhattan Beach, Calif.||10 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. with lunch|
Registration information and additional details will be provided in the coming months.
CompWest has launched the second iteration of our AF Group mobile app, which has enhanced tools and functionality to support policyholders and agents.
The app provides our agent partners immediate access to dynamic information and tools, such as:
- Class code lookup
- Company contact information (Help Desk, Billing and two customizable contacts)
- Marketing materials
- Access to events information and training opportunities
- Social media content
The new version features a policyholder section so they, too, have easy access to important information, such as safety handouts, loss control tips, contact information, etc. There is also the ability to send documents using the ‘share’ feature.
If you haven’t already downloaded the app, please do so today – and encourage your Accident Fund customers to do so as well! The mobile app is publicly available in the Apple and Google store.
Click here for a list of our top 10 written class codes during the past six months in both our Southern and Northern California regions.
Please contact your business development consultant with questions or to learn more.